Friday, December 19, 2008

Obama Didn't Pick Me Either

President-elect Obama has chosen many people for his cabinet posts. So far, I haven’t heard a lot of whining and bitchin’ about his picks. A little, but not a lot. Until his choice of Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at his inaugural. Mein Gott, you would think Rick Warren had been chosen to be Reverend in Chief, which he has not.

Most of the whining has come from gays and lesbians. Why? Because RW has said that he doesn’t think that gays and lesbians should be able to marry, etc. Rick Warren is a fundamentalist Christian man who believes what so many Christians believe—that being gay is a sin against God. If there is a fundamentalist, Christian man on this planet who does not share this belief, I’d like to nominate him for Christ-hood, because Jesus NEVER said that being homosexual was a sin. If you don’t believe me, read the bible, any version that dates from a few years back, not the crap that is being published today. Jesus, as I understand from having read the whole bible first page to last, was a pretty cool guy. He thought people should get along with each other, and treat each other well. He didn’t get treated very well himself, and after he was tortured to death, whenever I see people wearing symbols of his torture, I just have to wonder. Why would they do that? Why would they be proud of that? Does that make any sense? It doesn’t make any sense to me.

Not only did Obama choose this RW guy, he did not choose a gay person, a single person, a woman, a Jew, a Muslim, a Mexican American, a Black person, a crippled person, a person with PTSD, an ADD person, a transsexual person, a cross-dresser, a mime, a mine worker, a social worker, a Mormon, a Jehovah’s Witness, the CEO of a major international corporation, an elected official, a Mason, a member of the Elks, a postal worker, a doctor, a lawyer or an Indian chief.

I do not sit at the foot of God like so many folks, I’m sorry to say. I’m not sure I would choose to do that even if I had the chance, but from what I read there are more people sitting at the foot of God than there are people sitting in Barcaloungers. So for all of you folks sitting at the foot of God, I have a few questions:

How did you get to be so important? Did you earn the position or did you inherit it?

Did you have to get a degree in Christian understanding or did it come to you in a vision?

How do you know you’re right? Did Jesus tell you? As I recall, even Jesus had moments of major doubt. How is it that you don’t?

When did you learn that you were Jesus’ chosen one? Was there a flash of bright light? Did a halo appear on top of your head?

How does one apply to be holy?

And, for me, the most important question of all—when did the Golden Rule go out of style?

Thanks, and don’t worry, I forgive you.

No comments: