Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Qwerty

As I was keying in a story for one of my blogs recently, I started thinking about how I learned to type. It was in high school, I was in 10th grade, 20 people in my typing class, all but 2 of them girls. The others were sissy boys, who played on no sports teams, but one of them did beat me in the student council’s presidential race. Typing was a girl’s thing in those days, 1964, the same year the Beatles first performed on Ed Sullivan.

Last week, I got an email from Craig, a guy I graduated from high school with. Presumably, his email was from himself, and not from his secretary. I wonder how Craig learned to type? I wonder what happened to all the secretaries? I do know that Craig was on the football team and not in the typing class.

Remember when the first men landed on the moon in 1969? It was on TV, and those guys weren’t sending typed messages, either. I wonder if that was because they didn’t know how to type? Seems like a typed message would have been one heck of a lot easier to arrange than a voice message. But a typed message would not have been very macho in 1969, and they sure as heck would not have wanted to send women up there into deadly space where it might be seen that they could survive quite as well as men.

After high school, I worked as a secretary for a while. I took “dictation”, but I didn’t know shorthand. Gregg’s shorthand, another “girl’s” class offered in my high school. The dictation I took in my first job out of high school was tape recorded, and it included loud throat clearing’s, hacking and harrumphs from my cigar-smoking (male) boss. Sometimes I even got to listen to an entire (one-sided) telephone conversation, as I waited for his next paragraph to drop.

I never wanted to take Home Economics in high school. There were certainly no boys who took it, and that wasn’t because they were refused. I wanted to take shop, but that was prohibited. I learned to love to cook, anyway, and have spent a good part of my life making a living as a chef. Of course, the people who have made the most money and accumulated the most fame cooking are….boys. I didn’t want to learn to sew, either, and wouldn’t you know it, the most famous and wealthy clothing designers are…boys.

Men’s work and women’s work have long been two very different things. With the speed of snails moving through a garden, some changes have been made. I now see men pushing strollers. My favorite car mechanic is a woman. There are many other examples, but I still wonder—what happened to all the secretaries?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yanno what? I like this. After we took Xiffi down, I could not, for the life of me, remember your blog name. I finally found it. Duh. And you are soooo right.

Cheryl